The shooter who killed three police officers and injured three in the city of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, has been identified as Gavin long, a former marine, reports Reuters, citing a government source familiar with the investigation.
Officially the name of the offender is not yet known. Earlier it was reported only that he was killed in a shootout with police officers.
According to the interlocutor of the Agency, long, dark-skinned native of Missouri, was linked to anti-government group “the New freedom”. From August 2005 to August 2010 served as a marine. In June 2008 he was sent to Iraq for a period of six months.
In 2010, long left the ranks of the Marines with the rank of Sergeant and settled in Kansas city, previously spent some time in the cities of San Diego and Tuscaloosa.
In 2011 he divorced his wife, children he never had. Against him in court heard a case about tax evasion. It was opened in March and terminated in June of this year.
One of the eyewitnesses of the incident in an interview with CNN said that Gavin long was carrying a rifle AR-15, and on his face was stretched ski mask. “The shooter looked up and saw me. We stopped, froze, and then he turned and ran in the opposite direction and I ran in the opposite”, – said the interlocutor of the channel.
According to preliminary data, the police was chosen long not casually: shortly before the shooting in a 911 call went to the address where the perpetrator waited for the police.
The incident in the city of Baton Rouge occurred on Sunday morning local time. It is here that police in early July, shot black Elton Sterling, which led to a wave of protests across the country and the killings of policemen in several cities, including in Dallas.
Note that initially reported the attack on police the group of three persons: one of them, presumably, Gavin long, was firing and was killed and two others managed to escape. Relevant this information still is not reported.
Soon after the incident assessment of the incident gave the US President Barack Obama. He stressed that such attacks on the guards is “the work of cowards”. The head of state also expressed confidence that all involved in the incident will be punished. “I do not doubt justice will take place,” he said.