In Japan, died on 28-year-old participant of competitions on eating of rice balls – the traditional local dishes stuffed with rice molded in the shape of a triangle or of a sphere and wrapped in a sheet of dried seaweed. The man choked on five rice balls and died three days later. For the organizers this event has been a huge shock.

Eating contest onigiri was held on 13 November in the city of Hikone Japanese Prefecture of Shiga Prefecture, reports The Japan Times. According to the organizer of the competition, the 28-year-old competitor from the village of Cora choked on rice balls. The entrant’s name is not disclosed. The man was taken to hospital where he spent three days and subsequently died.

In total, the competition for eating a rice ball participated 15 people. The contestants were asked to eat five rice balls for three minutes. The competition was held as a promotional campaign to promote local farm products, including rice brand Oumimai, which is a proprietary product of the Prefecture of Shiga.

According to the organizer of the event, for participants of the competition made the tea, and the questions of security were designed to prevent any emergencies. That is why the incident with one of the contestants turned fatal, was “a serious blow”.

A contestant fainted after being shoved into his mouth his fifth rice ball. The competition was attended by doctor and nurse, who tried in vain to help the man choked. The result of the contestant taken away in an ambulance to the hospital.

According to the famous eater Takeru Kobayashi, in 2014 set a world record for eating pizza (62 pieces, or 15 and a half whole pizzas in 12 minutes), the typical and most dangerous mistake beginners in contests competitive eating is trying to eat too much too quickly, reports the BBC Russian service.

Contests eating speed popular in Japan. They are held at various regional fairs for promotion of local products and culture. Similar competitions held in other countries where there were also cases of suffocation. For example, in 2014, in Ukraine, 51-year-old woman died, barely having time to win the competition for eating dumplings.

In 2012 in the United States died 32-the summer world champion on eating cockroaches Edward Archbold. Man died after winning a contest from asphyxiabecause his airway was simply Packed “parts of the bodies of arthropods”.

In 2009, a similar accident happened in Russia. In the Kaliningrad region during the celebration of carnival party city competition in speed eating pancakes died right after he received the prize.



In Japan, the participant is eating the rice balls choked and died 24.11.2016

Share this news

Share to Google Plus
Share to LiveJournal