North Korea at this stage can represent a direct threat not only to some of its neighbors, but to American territory. About it as transfers “Interfax”, said on Thursday the head of the joint chiefs of staff, General Joseph Dunford.
“North Korea now poses a threat to our territory,” he said, speaking at the Brookings institution, headed by strobe Talbott, former Deputy Secretary of state.
Note, the magnitude of the estimates may indicate a recent information leak that the U.S. and North Korea are preparing to hold talks, which will be attended by senior representatives of North Korea and former U.S. officials. On 20 February, the Washington Post, citing its own sources wrotethat the meeting could take place in new York over the next few weeks.
The publication reminds that in recent years, informal talks, codenamed Track 1.5 was held in Kuala Lumpur, Geneva, Berlin and Ulaanbaatar. However, in the US, they have not been held since 2011 – from the moment when the post of leader of the DPRK held Kim Jong-UN.
If a meeting did take place, it will be the first such contact between the DPRK and the U.S. over the past five years and a signal that after the strained relationship between the Kim Jong-UN with Barack Obama, Pyongyang sees a potential opportunity to work with the administration of Donald trump. In addition, if the talks are successful, it could serve as a basis for new negotiations at a higher level, the newspaper said.
In South Korea believe that too rapid a resumption of dialogue with North Korea can play a destructive role in nuclear disarmament.
Recall, February 12, the DPRK conducted another ballistic missile test. The launch was carried out in the sea of Japan, but the rocket did not made the exclusive economic zone of Japan. According to the South Korean military, the missile covered a distance of 500 km. In Japan, the range was estimated at 350 km.
According to us military, the missile could be medium range. According to another version the American and South Korean experts, the purpose of the launch could be testing engines, which can then be mounted on an Intercontinental ballistic missile, ready to launch which Pyongyang announced in January of that year.
The launch happened during the visit of Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe in the United States. At a joint press conference with U.S. President Donald trump the head of the Japanese government said that the DPRK once again violated UN security Council resolution. Trump rocket launch did not comment, but promised main ally in Asia full support.
News Agency of North Korea KCNA has announced that the test was personally watched by Kim Jong-UN. The report notes that the missile type Pukguksong-2 is a “new strategic weapon capable of carrying a nuclear warhead”.
Previously, in early February, the Pentagon chief James Mattis saidthat the U.S. will immediately respond to possible use by North Korea of nuclear weapons, and the attack would be “effective and devastating”.
“Any attack on the US or our allies will be reflected, any use of nuclear weapons will meet the response that will be effective and devastating,” said Mattis, after a meeting in Seoul with the acting President, Prime Minister of South Korea Hwang Kyo Ahn.
The DPRK in the past year has conducted two nuclear tests and more than 20 launches of ballistic missiles. As stated in an interview with the Western media, the Deputy Director for the North of America in the foreign Ministry of North Korea, Choi Kang-Il, Pyongyang will continue to increase its nuclear Arsenal and means of pre-emptive strike as long as Washington continues to conduct exercises near the border with North Korea.
According to Choi Kang Ira, plans to deploy in the region the American anti-missile complexes THAAD, too, are provocative and Washington itself increases the instability on the Korean Peninsula in order to realize their plan for dominance in Asia.
The resolutions of the UN Security Council banned the DPRK’s testing of ballistic missiles. In Pyongyang, these documents are not recognized on the grounds that the country has every right to strengthen the defense capability amid the hostile policy of Washington.
In November last year, the UN Security Council in connection with nuclear and missile tests, adopted the resolution on toughening of sanctions against North Korea. The North Korean foreign Ministry refused to accept the security Council resolution, saying that its nuclear tests were conducted “in self-defense” in response to hostile US policy and the launch of the satellite “in the interest of space exploration for peaceful purposes”.