Sampsonievsky Cathedral in St. Petersburg officially handed over to the use of St. Petersburg diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church, reports RIA “Novosti”.
The ceremonial handover took place on Sunday. After the service, the Director of the state Museum-monument “St. Isaac’s Cathedral”, which was formerly the St. Sampson Cathedral, Nikolai Burov gave the rector of the Cathedral, Archimandrite Seraphim (Screw) the keys of the temple.
“Thirty-five years ago, the Museum “St. Isaac’s Cathedral” was included in the walls of this Church and have done everything possible in order to return the appearance features of this temple, which he wore even back in the eighteenth century. We have very few surviving churches of the XVIII century. This is one of the surviving, one of the sacred temples. This great monument was founded by decree of Peter the Great the day of the glorious victory over the enemy” – quoted Burov , RIA “Novosti”.
He stated that he transfers the keys “with feeling of deep satisfaction”: “Instead we got a room on Bolshaya Morskaya street 40, where we can continue our Museum work, because the Poltava Museum Victoria will not disappear, he is.”
The Boers called the iconostasis and icons of St. Sampson Cathedral “the great treasure of the Russian people,” noting that the Church lies “the responsibility of the task of maintaining, preserving and, perhaps, future restoration.”
The rector of the Church Archimandrite Seraphim called the keys of the Church “a historic day”.
Sampson the Church was founded by Peter I in 1709 in gratitude for the heavenly patronage shown to the Russian troops in the battle of Poltava, which occurred on 27 June (10 July), the feast day of St. Samson’s of strannopriimtsa. 17 years later the wooden building decided to replace stone. 19 Aug 1740 a new Church with a separate bell tower, built by the project of an unknown architect, was consecrated. A final view of the unique architectural ensemble acquired for the 200th anniversary of the Poltava battle in 1909, the same Church had the status of Cathedral.
The Cathedral remained in force until 1938. In 1935 it was taken under state protection as a monument of history and culture. After the cessation of worship, the Cathedral was leased to the State Hermitage.