The Council on human rights (HRC) under the President of the Russian Federation in the near future will study the situation with the detention of the activists of the public movement “For Park “TORRANCE”. Earlier law enforcement bodies have detained 13 people from the initiative group for the protection of the Park, “TORRANCE” from the construction of a temple on this site. In relation to the leader of the protest movement Evgeny Lebedev and member of the initiative group of Marina Originai Investigative Committee opened a criminal case under article 148 of the criminal code (“violation of the right to freedom of conscience and religion”).

“The Council will understand this situation in more detail, to discuss it with the leadership of the city”, – quotes words of the Chairman of the HRC Mikhail Fedotov, the Agency “Interfax”. He noted that the conflict around the Park “TORRANCE” not only in Moscow, linked with town-planning policy. “We believe that all such conflicts should be resolved through negotiations between the city authorities, developers and the public. Method of repression in such situations does not give positive results”, – said Fedotov.

Monday, November 14, fighters with building of the Park, was detained in his apartments. According to some, to activists descended at about six o’clock. It was reported that among those arrested were 16-year-old Alexander, son of activist Pavel Alekseev, who is usually removed from what is happening around the Park “TORRANCE” on the video.

On the website of the “Yabloko” party, which supports the activists, reported that they were suspected of insulting the feelings of believers. The head of the Moscow branch of the “Yabloko” Sergei Mitrokhin said the”echo of Moscow”, which together with activists, law enforcement officers took members of their families.

The detainees were brought to the investigative Department of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation on Severo-East administrative district of Moscow. About excitation of criminal case on Lebedev and Verigin said the lawyer of public movement “forty times Forty” Oksana mikhalkina. She said that a criminal case was initiated on the repeated allegations against the detainees and did not rule out that the prosecution can also expand by article 282 of the criminal code (“inciting hatred or hostility, and humiliation of human dignity”).

“Recently, in the name of the Patriarch we have filed 500 applications with the request to select a replacement “Torfyanka” of the previously submitted 20 alternatives. However, after that, the Patriarch said that the people in the Park are against the faith, and the task of the Church not to go backwards. I connect today’s events with this,” said RBC’s Park defender Michael Barbotin.

The confrontation between supporters and opponents of the construction of the temple in the Park “TORRANCE” continues for the second year. In summer 2015 a group of residents LOSINOOSTROVSKY district opposed the plans for the transfer of part of the Park for construction of a temple in honour of Kazan icon of Mother of God. June 1, 2015 Babushkinskiy district court of Moscow ruled that the construction is legal, but its opponents are still put at the entrance to the Park tent. They were opposed by members of the local Orthodox community and the activists of the movement “forty times Forty”.

Prefecture North-Eastern administrative district of Moscow, under public pressure, has suspended the construction work. In early September of the same year in the framework of the Internet project “Active citizen” voted on the issue of alternative site for the temple. As a result, under the construction were allocated territory in the Anadyr travel.

In October 2015 the Moscow authorities took a final decision to abandon the construction of the temple at “Torfyanka”. But the protesters are activists still decided to stay in the Park on duty around the clock. In mid-February of 2016 at “Torfyanka” once again broke out conflict over the construction of the temple. Opponents of its construction, reported that on the night of 13 February in the Park were imported building materials. In early March, the protesters complainedthat the police demolished their tent.



The HRC has promised to investigate the situation with the protests against the construction of a temple in Metropolitan Park 14.11.2016

Share this news

Share to Google Plus
Share to LiveJournal