The operation of the Brussels district of Molenbeek in which Belgian law enforcement authorities were looking for was involved in the terrorist attacks in Paris, has ended. According to police, the suspects they did not find, but at least one person detained.
According to eyewitnesses, the place of the intervention in Molenbeek were heard explosions and gunshots. The house where the operation was conducted, was blocked, with the participation of fire engines and armoured vehicles. On the neighboring rooftops were snipers. Also, journalists have reported about the powerful explosion that occurred during the operation.
Police have not yet explained the causes of the explosion. According to journalists who specialize in working with the security forces, we can talk about another explosion of noise grenades. Earlier, police denied reports about the shooting, but confirmed that were used stun grenades and tear gas.
– Two detained in Belgium were charged
– Raids in France: “This is only the beginning”
– The terrorist attacks in Paris: all the news here
The district mayor Francoise Chapman the journalists said that there were no detentions, reports Reuters. However, according to the channel RTBF, has been detained at least one person. His photo was posted on Twitter Euronews correspondent Sandor Zeros.
Suspect taken away by police at #raid Molenbeek, in Brussels. pic.twitter.com/JcdhkxcyJB
— Sándor Zsíros (@EuroSandor) 16 November 2015
The Reuters journalist who was present at the scene, reported that three groups of soldiers in gas masks crouched in a locked building through the roof. After 10-15 minutes they are on the street through the front door.
As the correspondent of TASS, to date, police cars began to leave the area of operation, although perimeter security is still not removed.
In the district of Molenbeek live mostly poor people. And it is inhabited by immigrants, including from the Middle East. According to police, there lived two of the terrorists involved in a series of attacks that occurred in Paris at the end of last week.
Two detained in Belgium were charged
During raids in the country were arrested seven suspects. According to The Guardian, to date released five. In Twitter, AFP reported that the two remaining charges of terrorism.
According to RTBF, one of the main suspects of involvement in the terrorist acts of Salah Abdessalam was never arrested. He was hunted because he is the brother of Ibrahim Abdusalam, which became one of the executors of terrorist attacks in the French capital. It is Salah has rented a Volkswagen Polo, which is found near the places of terrorist attacks.
Earlier it was reported that Salah Abdessalam was stopped by the French police a few hours after the tragic events in Paris, when he was in the car headed toward the Belgian border, and let him go.
Then Salah announced on the international wanted list for two days they searched for him in several European countries. The photograph of the terrorist was published by the French police.
Abdisalam Ibrahim was one of the suicide bombers who blew themselves up in the “Bataclan”. Another brother Salah – Mohamed Abdisalam – was arrested at the weekend in Brussels. It is also released, since it had an irrefutable alibi for the time of the attacks.
Raids in France: “this is only the beginning”
Police operations were also held throughout France. The interior Minister of France Bernard Cazeneuve said that in last night’s raids were carried out 168. On them were arrested 23 people. 104 others placed under house arrest. During raids police seized large quantities of weapons, including machine guns and grenade launchers.
“Let it be clear to all that this is only the beginning. Such police actions will continue,” said Cazeneuve.
According to the BBC, the raids took place in Strasbourg, Grenoble, Lyon, Lille, Marseille, Montpellier, and other cities.
A series of terrorist attacks in Paris took place on Friday, November 13. Unknown opened fire in several districts of the city, including the restaurant Le Petit Cambodge. Three explosions sounded near the Stade de France, which hosted a friendly match of football teams of France and Germany, which was attended by French President Francois Hollande. In addition, at a rock concert at the “Bataclan”, the unknown took hostages. According to the latest data, in a series of terrorist attacks killed 129 people, more than 350 were injured. Responsibility for the attacks was taken by the grouping “Islamic state” (banned in Russia).
According to the French authorities, in a series of terrorist attacks in Paris was attended by eight criminals. Six of the bombers blew himself up, another terrorist was shot dead by police. Four terrorists were French. The fifth, whose identity has defined the Prosecutor’s office, left fingerprints in Greece in October, by registering as a refugee. He is, apparently, a Syrian national.
The organizer of the attacks, according to unofficial data, was Abdelhamid Aboud – a Belgian citizen of Moroccan origin, previously participated in the killings of hostages in Syria. According to The Guardian, in January 2014, he kidnapped 13-year-old brother Yunus and fled from Belgium to fight in Syria. Father brother Omar Aboud went to the police, and Abdelhamid sentenced to a prison term hatimu.
The police named two assailants is a 29-year-old Ismael Omar Mostefa, born in the South-Western district of Chartres, and 28-year-old Aminur Themselves from the Parisian suburb of Drancy. A source close to the investigation, announced the names of two other attackers of the French is Hadfi Bilal and Ibrahim Abdusalam.
In Turkey meanwhile saidthat Ankara twice (in December 2014 and June 2015) tried to draw the attention of the French police Mostefa, who in 2013 entered the territory of Turkey and “disappeared”. Now I suppose he illegally crossed the border into Syria and fought for the “Islamic state”.
France declared national mourning for a duration of three days. Many entertainment facilities are still closed – including the Paris Disneyland.