The U.S. Senate overcame the veto of President Barack Obama on the passage of the bill, which would allow the families of the victims and survivors of Americans during the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, to submit claims to the governments and citizens of foreign countries, including Saudi Arabia. On a vote of 98 senators only one sided of the head of state, reports The New York Times.

Now the next step will be a vote in the U.S. House of representatives, which could take place this week. If us lawmakers manage to overcome a presidential veto, this will be the first such case during the work of the Obama administration since 2008. In order to overcome the presidential veto to bill when you vote gained two-thirds vote of the members of the house of representatives and the Senate.

Last week, the us Congress promised to make every effort to make this disappointing decision was “quickly and rightly cancelled. The parliamentarians noted that if the government of Saudi Arabia did nothing wrong, then they have no reason to be afraid of the bill. At the same time, if they were guilty of the September 11 attacks, must be held accountable.

President Barack Obama has used his veto and refused to sign the bill on September 22. A spokesman for the White house Josh Ernest then said that the head of state, utiroa this document used the right provided by the Constitution of the United States. The Bush administration opposed the bill on the grounds that other countries can use it as an excuse to judge American diplomats, military personnel, or company, said Ernest.

In may, the bill has received the support of the Senate. In early September, after the vote in the house of representatives the document was submitted for signature to President Barack Obama. A spokesman for the White house Josh Ernest has previously stated that the head of state is not going to sign this bill.

Obama has repeatedly promised to impose on this legislative initiative, veto. When the bill was only introduced in the Senate, the government of Saudi Arabia has threatened to sell all American assets owned by the country, totaling $ 750 billion.

Of the 19 participants in the September 11 attacks, 15 were citizens of this country. According to unconfirmed reports, the results obtained by held in Congress of the investigation showed that the terrorists received help from officials connected with Riyadh. In Saudi Arabia itself these suspicions categorically rejected.

The attacks 11.09.01

The terrorist attacks in USA in 2001, considered the largest in the history of mankind. On the morning of September 11, 19 terrorists related to al-Qaida, divided into four groups, captured four scheduled passenger airliner. Each group had at least one member, past the initial flight training. Two Boeing crashed into the twin towers of the world trade center (WTC) in new York, and the third was sent to the Pentagon in Washington and a fourth crashed in Pennsylvania.

As a result of terrorist attacks killed nearly three thousand people (2977, another 24 are missing), more than six thousand were wounded. It is known that two planes that crashed into the WTC skyscrapers, in total, killed 157 people. In addition, killing 343 firefighters, 60 police officers and eight employees of the ambulance.

The exact figure of the damage caused by the September 11 attacks, is unknown. In September 2006, US President George W. Bush announced that the damage from the attacks of 11 September 2001 amounted to US at the lowest estimate $ 500 billion. Note that 13 years after the tragedy in new York and Washington part of the report of the national Commission of the USA on investigation of the terrorist attacks remains classified.

Six suspects of involvement in the attacks was arrested in 2002 and 2003, they spent several years in CIA prisons, and in 2006, was delivered to the camp at the us base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. In February 2008, the U.S. defense Department has charged six detainees with murder and war crimes in the investigation of the September 11 attacks. Six suspects of involvement in the attacks was arrested in 2002 and 2003, they spent several years in CIA prisons, and in 2006, was delivered to the camp at the us base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. In February 2008, the U.S. defense Department has charged six detainees with murder and war crimes in the investigation of the September 11 attacks.



The Senate has canceled Obama’s veto on the bill on lawsuits against Saudi Arabia in connection with the September 11 attacks 28.09.2016

Share this news

Share to Google Plus
Share to LiveJournal